#WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is this Saturday
June 12, 2023
This Saturday, June 17, is Giveaway Day – the day you put out reusable items you no longer want for your neighbours who might like them.
“Giveaway Days are an effective and unique way to reduce waste in Kingston. When you pick up free secondhand items, you not only save them from landfill – you also reduce the waste associated with packaging and the greenhouse gas emissions associated with manufacturing new goods. Giving away items also helps community members save money,” says Adam Mueller, Supervisor of Solid Waste.
Share pictures of your Giveaway Day items on Instagram or Twitter at #WasteNotYGK.
GIVEAWAY DAY GUIDELINES
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.
- Appropriate: Books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
- Inappropriate: The Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out:
- Place items at the curb in front of your home.
- Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE.'
- Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back into your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up:
- Respect other people's property: don't walk on lawns or gardens.
- Take only the items that are marked ‘FREE' and placed at the curb.
- Don't leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people's property.
Find these guidelines at www.CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway