Remembrance Day Civic Ceremony
November 6, 2023
Remembrance Day is a municipal holiday and will be observed with a civic ceremony on Saturday, Nov. 11. Please note that City of Kingston services and facilities run as usual on Saturday.
The City’s Civic Service of Remembrance takes place at the Cross of Sacrifice Cenotaph in McDonald Park (located near Murney Tower, on King Street at the foot of George Street). On Saturday, Nov. 11, starting a 9:15 a.m., wreaths will be laid ahead of the ceremony by community groups, and by veteran and military groups starting at 10:15 a.m.
The bilingual civic service will take place from 10:45 to 11:20 a.m. However, spectators should be in place by 10:40 a.m. to see the parade march on ahead of the service. An ASL Interpreter will be present during the civic ceremony and there will be seating for veterans and people with disabilities. The public is invited to watch the laying of the wreaths before the service should they wish. If you are unable to attend, please note that the ceremony will also be filmed by YourTV from Cogeco and they will broadcast the event on channels 13 (standard definition) and 700 (HD) as well as channel 100 in HD on Epico at 2 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. later that evening.
The City’s 2023 Civic Ceremony will be in French and English, and an ASL interpreter will be present.
· 9:15 a.m. Community Wreath Laying Ceremony
· 10:15 a.m. Veterans and Military Groups Wreath Laying Ceremony
· 10:45 a.m. The Civic Ceremony
Ways to remember and honour on Remembrance Day:
· Observe two minutes of silence at 11 a.m.
· Attend the Civic Ceremony in person.
· Purchase a wreath or poppy from the Royal Canadian Legion. To order a wreath, please contact Merrill Gooderham, Poppy Chair, Royal Canadian Legion at 613-544-5522.
· King St from Lower University Ave to Barrie St from 8:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. for the Remembrance Day Ceremony
· King St from Barrie St to West St from 10:20 a.m. to 12 p.m. for the Remembrance Day Ceremony
· Barrie St from King St to Stuart St from 10:20 a.m. to 12 p.m. for the Remembrance Day Ceremony
· Bagot St from West St to Barrie St from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. for the Remembrance Day Ceremony
· Ontario St from West St to Gore St from 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. for the Remembrance Day Ceremony: Parade and Ceremony for HMCS Cataraqui