Utilities Kingston electricity customers in the CFB Kingston, and Barriefield Village areas will be affected by a planned power outage on Saturday, Sept. 9.
Customers in these areas will experience a 30-minute planned power outage starting at 8 a.m., and a 30-minute planned power outage starting between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
For a map of the affected area, please visit Power.UtilitiesKingston.com/Outages and click on Schedule | Map or List.
Utilities Kingston is committed to managing and maintaining local infrastructure to ensure reliable utility services, and to support the growth and development of our community. This power outage is necessary to allow workers to install new overhead electrical distribution lines and equipment on behalf of your electricity distributor, Kingston Hydro Corporation. For the safety of utility crews, equipment must be de-energized to complete the work.
Below are some tips to help you and your family during an outage:
- Make sure your appliances, such as the stove, are in the off position.
- Make sure your cellphone and extended battery packs are fully charged.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Use a cooler with ice for items you’ll need during the planned outage.
- Plan ahead and consider a source of back-up power for important building systems, including sump pumps.
- Do not use a propane barbeque, camp stove or portable standby generator indoors. They can generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Your carbon monoxide detector may not work in an outage.
- If you plan to use a generator, remember to use it in a dry area outdoors away from any open windows, doors and vents. Visit the Electrical Safety Authority at esasafe.com for more tips.
- If you depend on electrically powered medical equipment, consider having the following:
- a back-up phone that does not require electricity;
- an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) connected at all times;
- back-up generation available; and/or
- alternative arrangements in place (such as staying with family or friends.)
Utilities Kingston apologizes for the inconvenience caused by the power outage. This work helps to ensure you have a reliable source of electricity.
For more information, please visit www.UtilitiesKingston.com or call customer service, Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at 613-546-0000.