Coats for Community drive provides warmth to community this winter
October 19, 2023
United Way KFL&A’s fourth annual coat drive runs Oct 23 - Nov 13
Kingston, ON (October 19th, 2023) – As temperatures drop and winter approaches, many community members rely on donated coats to help them keep warm. United Way KFL&A is encouraging the community to help once again during the fourth annual coat drive.
As you begin to change over closets for the winter, community members are asked to please donate clean, new or gently used winter adult outerwear. The only requirement is that coats must be washable (no leather or heavy wool), and in good condition.
To make donating easy, bins are available to drop off winter coats at the United Way office, Kingston City Hall, and branches of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library and Lennox & Addington Library.
“Last year over 1,300 items were donated during the Coats for Community drive and they went immediately to helping our community members in need. Thank you to all those who generously donated through the previous drives, our volunteers and partners who make this possible,” said John DiPaolo, President and CEO, United Way KFL&A.” I know that our caring and compassionate community will step up once again.”
As donations are received, volunteers will sort and distribute coats to agencies throughout KFL&A.
Financial donations are also accepted and needed to help United Way purchase coats for people who need specialty sizes and fill in the gaps. You can make a donation at www.unitedwaykfla.ca/donate/ - please indicate the donation is for the Coat Drive in the notes box – or call 613-542-2674 to donate.
"Winter coats can be costly. If you are living on a fixed income or in poverty, then it is nearly impossible to buy a new coat,” said Leigh Martins, with Kingston Interval House, one of the agencies that receives donated coats. "Every year we have a lot of the people we serve reach out to us because they don't have a warm coat to wear. The United Way coat drive allows this wonderful community to donate their gently used coats and our clients to stay warm in winter."
Items can be dropped off in collection bins from October 23rd – November 13th at the following locations:
- United Way KFL&A Office, 417 Bagot Street, Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Calvin Park Branch Library, 88 Wright Crescent, Mon-Thu 9: 00am to 8:00pm; Fri-Sat 9:00am to 5:00pm
- Central Branch Library, 130 Johnson Street, Mon-Thu 9:00am to 8:00pm; Fri-Sat 9:00am to 5:00pm; Sun 1:00 to 5:00pm
- Isabel Turner Library, 935 Gardiners Road, Mon-Thu 9:00am to 8:00pm; Fri-Sat 9:00am to 5:00pm; Sun 1:00 to 5:00pm
- City Hall, 216 Ontario Street, Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Sydenham Branch Library, 4412 Wheatley Street, Mon, Wed & Fri 10:00am to 3:00pm; Tue& Thu 2:00pm to 7:00pm; Sat 9:00am to 5:00pm
Lennox & Addington
- Napanee Branch Library, 25 River Road, Mon – Thu 10:00am to 8:00pm; Fri – Sat 10:00am to 5:00pm
- Amherstview Branch Library, 322 Amherst Drive, Mon – Thu, 10:00am to 8:00pm; Fri – Sat, 10:00am to 5:00pm
Kingston Frontenacs Games:
A donations bin will be at the following Kingston Frontenacs games inside the main gate and United Way volunteers will also be accepting monetary donations:
- Friday, October 27, 7:00pm
- Saturday, November 4, 7:00pm
- Friday, November 10, 7:00pm
- Friday, November 17, 7:00pm
For more information about this year’s Winter Clothing Drive, click here.